Club History

Over the past 100 years in the Auckland Province, a total of 18 coursing and greyhound racing clubs, have at one time or another, occupied a total of 33 venues, with the Auckland Greyhound Racing Club the only surviver, having occupied 11 venues during it’s 50 years of existence. 
Between 1947 and 1949, the then fledgling club raced at Alison Park, and Western Springs in 1949.  
In 1950 the club raced at Huntley Domain, and at Olympic Park New Lyne between 1950 and 1953.  
During 1954 racing was at the East Tamaki Dairy Property in Otara, and at Huapai, and then the club settled for 10 years to race at Kumea, between 1954 and 1976. 
The Club moved to Mt Smart between 1976 and 1982, and then raced at the Claudlands Raceway, between 1982 to 1989. 
Finally from 1989 to the present, the club has found a permanant home at the Manukau Stadium, a purpose built greyhound racing complex. Initially racing was on a grass track, but the increased frequency of racing and trials resulted in difficulty maintaining a high standard of track surface. The club converted the track to an all weather sand and loam surface in 1999.

Greyhound Racing in South Auckland

Greyhound racing begins in South Auckland in 1938 with the formation of the Papakura Greyhound Racing Club. This club holds races at Prince Edward Park until 1941.
In 1954, as mentioned previously, the Auckland Greyhound Racing Club runs meets in East Tamaki.
Between 1960 and 1971 the Awatea Greyhound Racing Club has a course in Papatoetoe.
The Awatea club later combines with the Auckland Greyhound Racing Club.

A more complete history of the Auckland Greyhound Racing Club can be found in the book “Auckland Greyhound Racing Club. From Drag Hare to Bramich Hare Stadium” written by Sam Fletcher NZGRA Historian and Author. This book can be obtained by contacting the AGRC